Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Letting Go

Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them.   Luke 17:4

I've been hurt in my life. I've hated someone so much that I felt my only relief would be if they were dead. I've carried around bitterness and resentment that was so strong and heavy I couldn't move. I was angry and it hurt the people I love.

I knew I had to forgive. I knew that it says in Mark 11:25 that if I hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that my Father in heaven could forgive me. How could I forgive someone who caused me so much pain; someone who violated and abused my children? It was impossible for me to do it. How can I let something like that go?

The truth is, it IS impossible to forgive on my own. But with God ALL things are possible (Matthew 19:26). The truth is, forgiveness has little or nothing to do with the person who hurts us. It isn't saying what they did was OK. It's saying you are done carrying this burden and you're ready to give it to Jesus because He says His yoke is easy and His burden is light (Matthew 11:30). He took our pain and bore our sorrows (Isaiah 53:4). He died to break our chains (Psalm 107:14) and give us freedom and abundant life (John 10:10).

We forgive to be in relationship with God.

We forgive because it brings glory to God. I know that it was only by the power of the Holy Spirit that I was able to forgive and am now able to sincerely pray for this person. It was only God that has allowed me to tell my story and bring healing to others.

Choose to forgive.
Choose to let go.
Choose to let God take your burden and use your pain for His glory.

2 comments:

  1. This is very true. With God only is it possible, in His mercy and truth. May God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Hillary! God can do amazing things if we allow Him.

    ReplyDelete