Friday, November 20, 2015

No Fear

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9

With everything going on in the world right now, fear likes to creep in. From terrorist attacks to the dwindling economy, things don't look very good. It's our human response to be scared and uncertain. Without the Lord, the times we live in ARE scary and uncertain.  But God says in Isaiah 41:10, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God." He is serious when He says that He will keep you from all harm and watch over your life (Psalm 121:7).

Fear is crippling and it's binding. It keeps us stuck in our messes and won't allow us to walk in the plan and purpose God has for our lives.  It keeps us focused on our present circumstances instead of the amazing future God has for us (Jeremiah 29:11).  It has us more afraid of our enemies than in awe of our Deliverer. We talk more about what "they" can do to us than what Jesus can do for us.  We are letting our enemies win. The enemy wants us full of fear. He came to steal our peace (John 10:10).

We can stand knowing that we don't need to be afraid; God fights for us (Deuteronomy 3:22).  We can be certain that He does not give us this spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7).  There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made in perfect love. 1 John 4:18

The next time I start to feel afraid, I'm going to look up at the One who takes hold of my right hand and tells me not to fear because He will help me (Isaiah 41:13-14) and I will realize that because of the LORD'S great love I am not consumed (Lamentations 3:22).







2 comments:

  1. Such great verses you've found! I especially love Lamentations 3:22. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking to HIM instead of looking around us at all of our overwhelming problems! Loved your blog post!

    ReplyDelete