Friday, May 13, 2016

Count It All Joy

We are all going to go through hard times, there is no getting around that.  Some may have a harder time than others.  I know I have had my share of heartache and I'm sure you have too. The world is not an easy place to live and it doesn't seem to be getting better.  Satan loves to try to get us to focus on all that is wrong in ours lives; all that he is trying to destroy.  But God says otherwise:

                "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face
                 trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith
                 produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you
                 may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:2-4

Easier said than done, right?  I have spent a lot of my time throwing pity parties.  "Why me, Lord?" or "I don't deserve this!".  It never really ends the way I think it's going to.  I wind up in a big ball of mess on my couch, feeling worse than I did when I started....just where Satan wants me to be.  He does come to steal, kill, and destroy after all. Jesus, on the other hand, came that we may have life, and have it to the full (John 10:10).

I would much rather live my life with the understanding that every trial I am going through will eventually be turned into something good (Romans 8:28) instead of fearing everything that comes my way. I want to concentrate on what God has already done for me (Ecclesiastes 7:13) and not dwell on what Satan is TRYING to do. He is a liar and he wants you to feel defeated.

Your circumstances, whatever they may be, are nothing compared to the faithfulness of God.  God's will is to trust Him and thank Him ALL of the time, not just in the good times:

                    Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances;
                    for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:17-18

I feel like I am the very last person who should be trying to convince people to "be thankful in all circumstances" and "consider what the Lord has done".  I have such a hard time with these things myself.  It's not something easy to do. It's not something that comes naturally.  I struggle with this daily. 

Like today.

I'm looking at my circumstances today and anxiety fills my heart.  Satan is whispering in my ear that nothing will ever change and he is reminding me of the ways God hasn't answered my prayers.  He wants so badly to discourage me, and for a time, I let him.  Then I remember that he who began a good work in me (and my family) will carry it on to completion (Philippians 1:6).

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider this:
God has made the one as well as the other.
Therefore, no one can discover anything
about their future.  Ecclesiastes 7:14

Thank Him every day, even when you are at your lowest. He is working it all out and it's going to be GOOD.  




6 comments:

  1. Wonderful and encouraging post! God always using those hard circumstances for good.
    www.thedivinepresence.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still can't figure out how to have pure joy when I experience suffering, but I have to remember Jesus, who "counted it all joy" to suffer and die for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very timely, two weeks ago I realised I had a blame issue and then last week God led me to do a challenge on victim mentality. One thing I have really realised is that we have choice, we might not be able to control the situation but we can choose our attitude right? We can choose to consider it (evaluate and conclude that it is) all joy even when it doesn't feel good, but I know that will take me into the next level God is teaching me about - action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful in all circumstances. Our family is going though a HUGE trial. We are thankful. We are in joy, but sometimes there is hard, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Written from experience. James 1, one of my favorites. Thank you

    ReplyDelete