Monday, May 9, 2016

Out of the Fire

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Romans 5:8



We never think things are going to happen to us; we think that tragedy will never find it's way into our lives.  I think we try to push, to the back of our minds, the fact that we are not promised another day. But tragedy does strike.  In a split second, our lives can drastically change.

The nightmares were almost like a movie.  I was running down stairs into a fiery pit with two of my girls. I didn't know how to get out. I would wake in a panic. Little did I know, this fire would soon become a reality.

It was summer and very hot.  We only had a window air conditioner in the living room. The girls and I were in bed, but I was restless.  After an hour or so, I finally fell asleep. My ex husband stayed awake in the living room. I woke up to screaming. All I heard was "FIRE!".  I grabbed two of my girls and he grabbed the other.  We ran out of the duplex as fast as we could with just the clothes on our backs. The girls and I watched from the neighbor's window as all of our worldly possessions went up in smoke.

I would find a couple of years later that the fire was no accident. He set it on purpose. I'm not sure what his intentions were and it doesn't really matter now.  The one thing that stands out to me about this time in my life is this: GOD SAVED US.

Just as He saved us from this house fire, He also saved us from eternal fire. It says in Psalm 30:3 that the Lord brought us up from the realm of the dead. He spared us from going down to the pit.  Even in our darkest days, when we are bound by sin, He is there to reach down and pull us out. 

I think sometimes we are so engulfed by our sin, we don't know even know where to start.  We may think that God could never love or forgive someone like us or maybe we question why a loving God would allow bad things to happen to good people.  I know in my life, I have felt both of those things.

For so many years, I let my emotions separate me from a relationship with Jesus. I was angry, bitter, unforgiving, and guilty. I blamed God for all my hurt, but I also thought He could never forgive me for my sins. Satan LOVES to use our emotions against us.

When we hate, we can't feel God's love.
When we are unforgiving, we can't feel God's grace and forgiveness.
When we are bitter, we can't feel God's sweetness.

The list goes on and on...

Jesus wants to dig deep into the dirtiest part of our soul.  He wants to cleanse us from the inside out and rid us of all of our emotional baggage. He didn't die because we are perfect and whole. He died because we are broken humans in desperate need of a Savior.

Don't wait for tragedy to strike to look for Jesus. Don't push Him to the side because you think you have time to spare. He's knocking on the door of your heart and wanting to save you. He created you because He loves you.  It says in Psalm 18:19 that he rescued you because He delighted in you.

Don't waste a single second of your life doubting that God loves you and sent His Son to die for you.

He is real.
He is willing.
He is able.

3 comments:

  1. What a terrifying experience, Jessica! Why on earth would he set your house on fire? Did you press charges? I just can't even imagine. I'm sure there is much more to this story- I would love to read more, and I hope you write about it.

    If love how you used this story to lead us into God's truth and how He so desperately wants all of us- even the darkest pieces of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible story! Thank you for taking a moment to help others with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so inspiring. God uses everything we walk through to encourage others. Thank you for sharing your story and the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete