Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Grace and Our Temple

I titled this blog "Restoring The Years" because the Lord has done so much for me, and given me back so much that I had lost. Until recently, I had no idea that He was also talking about my body. For years I thought fat = ugly. What a lie from hell.

I have struggled with depression and very low self esteem for years. I am definitely what you would call and emotional eater. The more weight I gained, the uglier I thought I was. The uglier I thought I was, the more I ate. It really is a vicious cycle.  Of course, I never felt like exercising either. As Christians, we know that our body is a temple. So, I have always felt tremendous guilt for not treating it that way.  All these negative emotions take take a toll and the devil LOVES it!

Lately I have been thinking about grace and what it means to me.  Grace is something I definitely don't deserve. It's not something I can earn. It's just given to me freely and repeatedly.  It's given to everyone. It doesn't matter who we are or what we've done.  It's a second chance.

I guess we really don't look at neglecting our bodies as sin. But, I believe it is. I'm not saying that we can never have a cookie or that we have to exercise for hours each day. What I am saying is that 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. I am not my own; I was bought at a price.  That right there is good enough for me.

So the other day I woke up. I realized the enemy had stolen my body away from me and it was time to get it back. Thank God for His grace and forgiveness. I realize that it will take hard work and I'm ready for it. I will definitely have to deny myself and hold myself accountable. The Holy Spirit living inside me is big enough for the job.  I trust Him completely to see me through.

Thanks for reading,

Jessica




I would love to hear from anyone going through the same thing.  Email me at jessicanc78@gmail.

1 comment: